Friday, April 15, 2011

Grandma's Chaos Tour



There is this lady in Salzburg who used to be a hostess for AIFS students (the program I'm studying with). Her name is Frau Schöttke. (Well, her first name isn't Frau, that means Ms., Miss, or Mrs.) She has since retired from this (she's 77), but she still likes to have American students over for dinner.

In addition to this hospitality, she also has taken it upon herself for several years now to take students on a trip to Italy, Croatia, and Slovenia. She's a brave woman. We saw A LOT in those two days, but it was completely worth it.

Leaving Salzburg, we crossed the Alps into Italy and stopped at this castle, Miramare:
Then we proceeded on to Trieste and then went through Slovenia to Croatia where we had a calamari dinner....it was wonderful....I helped two people finish theirs. Here are some AIFSers on the balcony, because I love candids and everyone hates them :)
We stayed in this nice little town (Umag-pop. 5,000) along the sea that had a really old church:
After our night in Croatia, we got up to go back to Slovenia to see some caves. They were huge--but as all caves look more or less the same, I decided to give you a picture of the hot chocolate I got instead:
Yep, it was like hot chocolate pudding. Delicious, but not what I expected. Interestingly enough, one of my friends ordered the same thing and got regular hot chocolate. Must have gotten lost in translation somewhere in the 3-4 languages that most Slovenes and Croats speak (Slovenian or Croatian, English, Italian, and sometimes German--makes me feel lazy).

I should probably close by noting that somehow along the way, before we even left Salzburg I became the chosen one--Frau Schöttke's golden child. I helped her collect the money and organize a few things, and she repeatedly would call me over to show me something while we were on the trip....it was interesting, but good to have an Austrian Grandma now. Btw, she calls this trip "Grandma's Chaos Tour." We didn't come up with that.

1 comment:

  1. I feel bad because you don't have any comments on here. I guess I had given up on your blog and hadn't checked it in a long time.

    I like warm pudding, too. We always made cooked pudding when I was growing up and I liked to eat it warm. But it would be kind of weird if you were expecting a drink.

    And... I love candid shots too. Especially if you can get them before people hold their hands up in front of their face. lol

    Can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete